Friday, November 28, 2014

2014 Germany Trip - Eiscafé Mauro @ Rothenburg

Location: Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany

German: Eis is German for ice-cream (yes, fooled you didn't it)
               Eiscafé is German for ice-cream parlor, a place which sells ice-cream (not really a café)

Itinerary and full experience of my visit to Germany can be accessed through the link below:


Have you ever considered eating ice-cream when the weather around you is lower than 10°C? I had. It was quite fun and contrary to my initial belief, it didn't make me colder. With the environment being so cold, consuming scoops of ice-cream had little effect on my body temperature.

Good weather for an ice-cream

I spied Mauro's when I was done photographing various shots of the famed Plönlein, noticing the customers appreciating hot beverage and ice-cream. With my legs crumbling underneath me after walking for close to 5 hours straight, I thought that I could use a cuppa with such a cold weather.

The colorful menu was naturally in German only so diners who are not familiar with the listed ingredients could just pick one with an image next to it. My interest was piqued by a few offerings which resembled other food stuffs. There was a dish of spring rolls and another plate of spaghetti, all of which was clearly mentioned as ice-cream. My curiosity got the better of me and I chose the one simply called Spaghetti Eis (€4.50), and a cup of Cappuccino Italiano (€2.30) to go with.It was after all an Italian cafe and under such cold weather, a cuppa would be warming.

Mauro's Italian ice-cream parlor

Ubiquitous Plönlein on the cover of the menu

The cappuccino was as nice as expected from any cafe - smooth and rich. However I was more interested in the dish of ice-cream in the form of spaghetti. True to the image and its name, it looked just like pasta served cold with toppings of white chocolate crumble and strawberry syrup. I only realized upon digging in that the strands of pasta were in reality whipped cream formed into such a realistic shape.

Spaghetti Eis (Ice-cream spaghetti) (€4.50)

The 'spaghetti' is actually soft, parting easily upon every scoop. Covered below it, the vanilla ice-cream is subtly sweet, the stronger flavor contributed by mixing the strawberry syrup and white chocolate shavings on top. Unlike our local ice-cream packs, theirs is really creamy and smooth.

...and a few scoops after revealed that the 'spaghetti' is just the cover on top of the real ice-cream.

Cappuccino Italiano (€2.30) is on par with other cuppa you could expect from a cafe in Germany. Smooth and rich and foamy. What else did you expect?

Al fresco

As it turned out from my search on the internet, Spaghetti Eis is a German dish created by Dario Fontanella in the late 1960s in Mannheim. Whipped cream is extruded through a presser to form the namesake spaghetti strands, covering the ice-cream underneath. The dish is usually topped with strawberry syrup to resemble tomato sauce over pasta, and coconut flakes, white chocolate shavings or grated almonds represent parmesan cheese.

Since it is not well known and seldom seen outside of Germany, it became one of the must try food in the nation and I unknowingly gained the experience. If I were to revisit Germany in the future, I think I will go for another try of this peculiarly formed ice-cream dish. And while I cannot vouch for other ice-cream parlor in Rothenburg, Mauro did leave me a positive experience and I would recommend al fresco seating to enjoy visitors hustle past.








Environment:         A cafe for ice-cream or coffee in a charming old town
Suitable for:            for family or friends, or just for usual dining
Food score:
Food:        4.0/5.0
Service:    4.0/5.0
Value:       3.0/5.0
Ambient:  3.0/5.0

Operating hours:   (Mon - Sun) 10.00 a.m. - 11.00 p.m.
Directions:                Find your way to Plönlein and you should see this shop. If you are at the intersection facing the two towers, the shop is situated behind you.

Website:                    -
Contact:                   +49 - 9861 7895 (phone)
E-mail:                      eiscafemauro_2011@live.it
Address:                   Untere Schemiedgasse, 8, 91541 Rothenburg ob der Tauber.




No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...