Friday, May 1, 2015

2014 Germany Trip - Schneeballen (Snowballs) of Rothenburg from Diller Schneeballenträume

Location: Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany

Itinerary and full experience of my visit to Germany can be accessed through the link below:


What should you try when in Rothenburg ob der Tauber? Schneeballen of course! That's translated to "Snowballs", an apt name to the coated balls the size of your fist. I first got to know this candy food when in Heidelberg, and knowing that this is a product local to Rothenburg, I immediately set it as my goal to get some from this town.

According to online sources, this pastry has been around for about 300 years in the regions of Franconia and Holenlohe. Originally reserved for weddings, it is now available throughout the year, and Rothenburg ob der Tauber is the place to get it, from bakeries selling it besides its main wares to specialized shops selling it as its main ware. It is made by deep frying dough in boiling fat and dusted with confectioner's sugar while warm. Its outlook is what earned its name.

Schneeballen = snowballs

There was no shortage of shops selling this product when I visited but the numbers were still less than I thought. I naturally chose one of the shops with larger range of flavors to purchase some. I entered Diller Schneeballenträume and loitered for a choice, or 4 for that matter as they could pack them nicely in a box compared to wrapping in a carrier bag for any other numbers.

This is the special version with Marzipan fillings within the snowballs. The taste was not what I expected but still nonetheless tasty.

More flavors to choose from. The price varies between the ordinary and the special. Even so it is still affordable for its size.

The range of flavors available was truly amazing and I had to take my time to choose. Every one of them seemed attractive but my limited knowledge of German meant that I only deciphered a few of them. My choice was certainly narrowed down by this fact. One of my more memorable choice was the one with Marzipan filling, which seemed like a novelty looking at its premium pricing compared to the general offer. Fortunately the lady manning the counter was conversant in English, and with a light heart I managed to purchase the flavor I wanted.

I didn't know what to expect but the taste was nevertheless delicious. Maybe the flavor didn't matter as I was trying my Schneeballen with the gleeful delight of a child given a candy. The crunchy dough coated with confectioner's sugar truly kicked off my sweet tooth addiction as I picked the ball apart dough by dough. 

Despite the size it was rather empty in reality, the geometry held by twisting pieces of dough with mostly air in between them. Since the dough themselves were stiff in nature, that meant that I could pick them apart to consume rather than having to chew through a large ball awkwardly.

The sign at its entrance listed all the available flavors.

The front of the shop

Another shop selling Schneeballen - the product is certainly popular here in Rothenburg ob der Tauber.

With crumbles on my lap and a guilty heart, I reined in my addiction and kept half a ball for each flavor to enjoy back at my hotel. I would recommend any visitors to Rothenburg not to miss this local delight, and if possible, buy some for friends in your home country. Although I forgot to ask the cashier about its expiry date, online sources mentioned that it could last up to 8 weeks under properly kept conditions.








Environment:          A shop in an old town for a local product
Suitable for:             for takeaways mainly
Food score:               7/10
Food:                             4.0/5.0
Service:                         4.0/5.0
Value:                            3.5/5.0
Ambient:                       3.0/5.0

Operating hours:   (daily) 10.00 a.m. - 6.00 p.m.
Directions:                Align yourself in Marktplatz and walk towards Plonlein. This street is Obere Schmiedgasse and the shop should nearly halfway between Marktplatz and Plonlein.

Website:                    Official homepage of Diller Schneeballenträume
Contact:                    +49 (0)98 6193 8563 (phone)
E-mail:                       info@diller-schneeballen.de
Address:                    Obere Schmiedgasse 7, 91541 Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Germany.




No comments:

Post a Comment

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...